Privacy Plan - Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004
In accordance with the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004, Lansdowne Children's Centre has developed a Privacy Plan in order to ensure that all clients and their families are being treated in a consistent manner.
- Information Practices - Lansdowne Children's Centre will have in place information practices that comply with the requirements of the Personal Health Information Protection Act and its regulations.
- Written Public Statement - Lansdowne Children's Centre shall make available to the public a written statement that:
- provides a general description of our information practices.
- describes how to contact our Privacy information Officer.
- describes how a client of Lansdowne Children's Centre may obtain access to or request correction of a record of personal health information about the client.
- describes how to make a complaint to Lansdowne Children's Centre and to the Commissioner under thus Act.
- Collection, Use and Disclosure of Personal Health Information - Lansdowne Children's Centre shall prepare a notice to post and make available describing the purposes of Lansdownes collections, uses and disclosures of personal health information.
- Contact Person - Lansdowne Children's Centre will designate a contact person to perform the functions as set out in the Act. At Lansdowne this contact person will be named the Privacy Information Officer.
- Functions of the Privacy Information Officer - The Privacy Information Officer of Lansdowne Children's Centre will ensure that employees and all other agents of Lansdowne Children's Centre are appropriately informed of their duties under the Act.
- Security - Lansdowne Children's Centre shall take reasonable steps to ensure personal health information in its custody or control is protected against theft, loss and unauthorized use or disclosure and to ensure that the records containing the information are protected against unauthorized copying, modification or disposal.
- Handling of Records - Lansdowne Children's Centre shall ensure that the records of personal health information that it has in its custody or under its control are retained, transferred and disposed of in a secure manner and in accordance with the prescribed requirements, if any.
Collection of Personal Health Information
Lansdowne Children's Centre understands the importance of protecting personal information. We collect personal health information about clients directly from clients or from the person acting on their behalf. The personal health information that we collect may include, for example, client name, date of birth, address, health history, records of client visits to Lansdowne Children's Centre and the care that was received during those visits. Occasionally, we do collect personal health information about clients from other sources if we have obtained consent to do so or if the law permits. To assist in the understanding of how we are doing that, we have outlined here how Lansdowne is using and disclosing information.
Uses and Disclosures of Personal Health Information
We will use and disclose clients personal health information to:
- deliver safe and efficient client care
- identify and to ensure continuous high quality service
- assess health needs
- provide health care
- advise of treatment options
- enable us to communicate with other health-care providers involved in care
- allow us to maintain communication and contact to distribute health-care information and to book and confirm appointments
- allow for proper scheduling
- allow us to efficiently follow-up for treatment and care
- teach and demonstrate on an anonymous basis
- comply with legal and regulatory requirements, including the delivery of clients charts and records to the various Colleges of the Regulated Health Professions in a timely fashion, when required, according to the provisions of the Regulated Health Professions Act
- assist Lansdowne Children's Centre to comply with all regulatory requirements
- comply generally with the law
Clients (and/or their parent /legal guardian) may access and/or request correction of their personal health records, or withdraw their consent for some of the above uses and disclosures by contacting us (subject to legal exceptions) and we will explain the ramifications of that decision, and the process.
Information may be accessed by regulatory authorities under the terms of the Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA) for the purposes of the various colleges of employees here at Lansdowne fulfilling their mandate under the RHPA, and for the defense of a legal issue.
When unusual requests are received, we will contact you for permission to release such information. We may also advise you if such a release is appropriate.
- We take steps to protect personal health information from theft, loss and unauthorized assess, copying.
- We conduct audits and complete investigations to monitor and manage our privacy compliance.
- We take steps to ensure that everyone who performs services for us protect client privacy and only use personal health information for the purposes clients have consented to.
How to Contact Us
Our Privacy Information Officer is Jennifer Huxley. For more information about our privacy protection practices, or to raise a concern you have with our practices, contact us at:
You have the right to complain to the Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario if you think we have violated your rights. The Commissioner can be reached at:
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Telephone: 416 326 3333 or 1 800 387 0073
Fax: 416 325 9195
TTY: 416 325 7539
Purposes for collection, use, and disclosure of personal health information in accordance with the Personal Health Information Act, 2004
Privacy of personal information is an important part of provision of quality care here at Lansdowne Children's Centre. We understand the importance of protecting personal information and we are committed to collecting, using and disclosing this information responsibly. We try to be as open and transparent as possible about the way we handle personal information.
All staff members in contact with personal information are aware of the sensitive nature of any information that may have been disclosed to us. They are all trained in appropriate information uses and protection of information.
Lansdowne Children's Centre will collect, use and disclose personal information for the following purposes:
- To deliver safe and efficient client care
- To identify and to ensure continuous high quality service
- To assess health needs
- To provide health care
- To advise of treatment options
- To enable us to communicate with other health-care providers involved in care
- To allow us to maintain communication and contact to distribute health-care information and to book and confirm appointments
- To allow for proper scheduling
- To allow us to efficiently follow-up for treatment and care
- For teaching and demonstrating purposes on an anonymous basis
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements, including the delivery of patients charts and records to the various Colleges of the Regulated Health Professions in a timely fashion, when required, according to the provisions of the Regulated Health Professions Act
- To assist Lansdowne Children's Centre to comply with all regulatory requirements To comply generally with the law
Do not hesitate to discuss Lansdowne Children's Centre policies with our Privacy Information Officer or any member of our staff. Please be assured that every staff member at Lansdowne Children's Centre is committed to ensuring that you receive the best quality care.
Reviewed/Updated October 2006