History of Lansdowne Children's Centre
Lansdowne Children's Centre was incorporated as a treatment centre in 1974; the history that preceded this incorporation is extensive. Following are some highlights of this history.
1952 A group of children with cerebral palsy, representing seven families, met on a part-time basis in the Red Cross Rooms on William Street.
Parents Council for Cerebral Palsy was formed.
1953 Programme was moved to what had formerly been the Isolation Hospital on Charing Cross Street.
1955 Formal incorporated body was established in order to solicit government support. Accordingly, The Cerebral Palsy Centre was dedicated February 5, 1955.
1956 First meeting of the Brant County Cerebral Palsy Association was held May 30, 1956.
Ministry of Education gave the program a private school status providing financial assistance for an educational program operated by the Brant County Cerebral Palsy Board. The Brant County Cerebral Palsy Association continued to assume the responsibility for treatment and health care needs.
1960 The Cerebral Palsy Centre moved to the Terrace Pavilion at the Brantford General Hospital where a new sign showed its expanded mandate as the Rotary Club of Brantford Crippled Children/Cerebral Palsy Centre. Along with the established program, Rotary Clinics were arranged by the Easter Seal Society. The Centre's connection with these two organizations remains strong to this day.
1971 Brant County Board of Education assumed responsibility for the operation of the Educational Program making it a satellite of Central School. The Private Board of Education was disbanded. The Cerebral Palsy Association continued the administration of health care and treatment.
1973 The Centre moved to the Clinical Division and Educational Program location at Preston Boulevard, housed in one wing of Lansdowne School.
1974 Lansdowne Children's Centre became incorporated and was recognized as a Group K Hospital under the Ministry of Health, offering outpatient services in physical medicine therapies. The Centre began receiving funding from the Ministry of Health. The Cerebral Palsy Association altered its role from active administration to one of financial support.
1985 Infant Development Program and Special Services at Home Program transferred their administration to Lansdowne Children's Centre and became an integral part of the services offered at Lansdowne Children's Centre.
1987 Lansdowne Children's Centre expanded its services to include a Respite Care Program and agreed to provide a purchase of service to the School Health Support Services Program.
1991 Early Integration Program transferred administration to Lansdowne Children's Centre.
1997 Construction of the "new" Lansdowne Children's Centre began.
1998 June 25th marked the Grand Opening Celebrations at the "new" Lansdowne Children's Centre at 39 Mount Pleasant Street.
1999 Marked Lansdowne's 25th Anniversary as a Treatment Centre.
The Centre celebrated in conjunction with the Rotary Centre and hosted a Grand Christmas Party for all staff and families and their children.
2000 July 7th Lansdowne hosted an event celebrating the unveiling and dedication of the Joanne Renahan Children's Courtyard. Joanne, her son Stephan and husband Peter were in attendance to mark the event.
2002 Lansdowne Children’s Centre opened ’ Country Inn, a weekend respite program for medically fragile and/or technologically dependent children and youth. Located at the Brantwood Centre, Kid's Country Inn provides the kids with a resort-like vacation away from home.
2004 In June 2004, the Early Autism Program was transferred to Lansdowne Children’s Centre. In this Intensive Behavioural Intervention Program, Instructor Therapists work individually with the children to develop their skills in the areas of play, communication, socialization and self-help